The Best Reverse Flow Offset Smokers
Today, we’re delving into the world of reverse flow offset smokers. Whether you’re a newbie to grilling or a seasoned pitmaster looking for a new smoker, you’ve likely encountered the buzz surrounding the legendary yet affordable Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker, its big brother the Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker, or the esteemed Lang Reverse Flow Smoker, among others. But what distinguishes these smokers from others, and how do they stack up against each other? Let’s find out!
Reverse Flow Offset Smokers: What’s all the fuss about?
Before we dive into the meaty details, let’s explore the science behind reverse flow offset smokers and understand why this type of smoker is – to some – the holy grail of BBQ.
They share many similarities with standard offset smokers including a long smoking chamber, a firebox chamber offset on the side of the cooking chamber, and one or two temperature gauges. They are both suitable for longer cooks, but the reverse flow versions produce more smoke flavor, take a bit longer to heat up, and burn fuel slower.
In a traditional offset smoker, the heat and smoke enter the main chamber from one side, creating possible hot spots and uneven cooking, and then exit out the smoke stack on the opposite side. But reverse flow offset smokers take the art of smoking to a whole new level. They feature a specialized baffle plate (or multiple plates) extending the entire length of the main cooking chamber. This plate redirects the heat and smoke beneath it before gently guiding it back over the meat. This reverse flow design effectively eliminates hot spots, guaranteeing even cooking temperatures and, ultimately, perfectly smoked food.
Top 5 Reverse Flow Offset Smokers
Now, let’s dig into our top 5 reverse flow offset smokers, which include the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker, Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker, and the illustrious Lang Reverse Flow Smoker, among others.
Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker
The Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker is an ideal pick for BBQ beginners and budget-conscious grillers. Its straightforward design and heavy-gauge steel construction make it a reliable companion for traditional offset smoking. It also features optional smokestack locations and the ability to turn it into a more traditional offset smoker. It has a removable large charcoal basket making it easier to manage the fire. You can read my Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker Review to find out more about this smoker.
- Ease of Use: This reverse flow smoker is tailor-made for newcomers to the BBQ scene. It delivers consistent results without a steep learning curve.
- Durable Build: Fashioned from heavy-gauge steel, the Highland is engineered to withstand the rigors of prolonged smoking sessions.
- Affordable: You get quality without emptying your wallet.
- Optional Smokestack Locations: Provides flexibility in smoke control for varying cooking techniques.
- Temperature Gauges: Equipped with built-in temperature gauges for convenient monitoring.
- Limited Cooking Space: With fewer square inches of cooking space, it may not be the top choice for hosting sizable gatherings.
- Temperature Fluctuations: Some users have reported minor temperature fluctuations, which can pose a challenge during extended smoking sessions.
- Smoke Leaks: Due to the metal-to-metal enclosure, smoke can leak out of the lid. This can be fixed by using gasket paper
Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker
This smoker offers the same features as Highland model. If you’re a frequent host of grand BBQ gatherings and favor traditional offset smoking at high temperatures, the Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker is your ultimate choice. Its ample cooking space and robust construction will meet all your smoking needs.
- Spacious Cooking Area: The Longhorn boasts an expansive square inches of cooking space, perfectly suited for catering larger events.
- Reverse Flow Technology: Like its smaller counterpart, it employs a reverse flow design for consistent cooking temperatures.
- Sturdy Build: Crafted from heavy-gauge steel, it’s a durable choice for those who prefer high temperatures and longer smoking sessions.
- Optional Smokestack Locations: Allows customization of smoke flow and control.
- Temperature Gauges: Includes built-in temperature gauges for precise cooking.
- Assembly Challenges: Some users find the assembly process a bit tricky, so be prepared to invest some time in the setup.
- Bulkiness: Due to its size, maneuvering the Longhorn can be cumbersome, so select your grilling location wisely.
- Smoke Leaks: Just like the Highland, you’ll want to purchase gasket paper to keep the smoke inside
Lang Reverse Flow Smoker
The Lang Reverse Flow Smoker stands as a top-tier option for serious BBQ connoisseurs who demand precision and unwavering durability. If you’re willing to invest in a smoker that excels in both traditional offset smoking and indirect heat, this one’s for you.
- Legendary Quality: Lang smokers have a reputation for exceptional craftsmanship and unwavering durability, making them a lifetime investment.
- Precise Temperature Control: Achieve pinpoint cooking temperatures thanks to the reverse flow design and removable baffles.
- Versatility: Suitable for various types of smokers and cooking styles, offering you the flexibility to experiment with different flavors.
- Legendary Quality: Renowned for exceptional craftsmanship and unwavering durability, a lifetime investment.
- Large Charcoal Basket: Provides extended burn times for longer cooks.
- Heavy-Gauge Steel: Ensures even heat distribution and superior heat retention.
- Pricey Investment: Quality comes at a premium, and the Lang Reverse Flow Smoker is positioned at the upper end of the price spectrum.
- Weight and Size: It’s heavy, so moving it may require some muscle.
Nexgrill Oakford 1150 Reverse Flow Offset Smoker
The Oakford 1150 Reverse Flow Offset Smoker shines with its sturdy construction, precise heat control, and ample cooking space. Its versatility in smoke control and built-in temperature gauges make it a top contender for BBQ enthusiasts seeking consistent results.
- Sturdy Construction: Built to last with heavy-gauge steel, ensuring durability for years of use.
- Precise Heat Control: Utilizes reverse flow technology and removable baffles for precise temperature management.
- Ample Cooking Space: Offers a generous cooking area for hosting sizable BBQ gatherings.
- Smoke Control Options: Adjustable smokestack positions for versatile smoke control and flavor infusion.
- Temperature Gauges: Equipped with built-in temperature gauges for monitoring cooking temperatures.
- Price Range: Positioned in the higher price spectrum, it may not be suitable for budget-conscious buyers.
- Size Consideration: Its considerable size may not be the best fit for smaller patios or yards.
Meadow Creek TS250 Reverse Flow Smoker
If you’re a BBQ connoisseur regularly cooking for large groups or even competitions, the Meadow Creek TS250 Reverse Flow Smoker is a powerhouse that delivers consistent results and ample cooking space.
- Massive Cooking Space: The TS250 offers an incredibly spacious cooking space, making it perfect for catering large events.
- Easy Cleanup: It features a slide-out cooking grate and an ash pan, simplifying post-grill cleanup.
- Reverse Flow Design: Its reverse flow technology guarantees consistent temperature and smoke distribution.
- Hefty Price Tag: It’s one of the pricier options on the market, representing a significant investment.
- Size and Weight: Due to its massive size, it may not be suitable for smaller patios or yards.
In the realm of reverse flow offset smokers, you’ll find a model tailored to every type of pitmaster. Whether you’re just embarking on your BBQ journey or a seasoned pro, one of these smokers can elevate your grilling game.
- Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker is an excellent choice for beginners and budget-conscious grillers.
- Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker excels at hosting large BBQ gatherings with traditional offset smoking at high temperatures.
- Lang Reverse Flow Smoker stands as a premium option, offering versatility and precision for experienced grillers.
- Oakford 1150 Reverse Flow Offset Smoker: Combines sturdy construction, precise heat control, ample cooking space, smoke control options, and built-in temperature gauges for a comprehensive smoking experience.
- Meadow Creek TS250 Reverse Flow Smoker is the go-to for BBQ enthusiasts cooking for big crowds.
Remember, the ideal smoker for you depends on your budget, gathering size, and grilling expertise. Whichever you choose, prepare for a smoky adventure filled with mouthwatering BBQ goodness! Happy grilling!